mixed feelings

>> Saturday, October 21, 2006

I heard about the 6tragic news regarding the suicide at chinese garden mrt station just now from my sisters and mum. I was very shock after reading the details leading to the man’s action.

The family had no money and he doesn’t have a regular job. He only has education up to primary 3 while his wife, primary 5. his wife, although handicapped, work in a factory to bring in $500 monthly to barely meet the family needs. To sustain the little money they have, their usual meals comprises only plain porridge with vegetables or instant noodles for most of the time.

Until the day he died, he gave his youngest son $9 and told him to ‘buy chicken rice for your mum, elder brother and yourself”. For a family of such thriftiness, $9 makes a big difference to their household and it was no special occasion. Obviously the son was confused, but he didn’t read too much into it.

The man left $5 for the wife, and off he left the house.

At 10.10pm, CCTV at Chinese garden station platform caught the instant where a man jumped onto the track when a train was approaching the station. His body was ran over by the train, and the body was ripped into 3 parts.

The man had $16 in his pocket. The family had no money with them. In conclusion, the family only had $30 on the day the man died.

For a country like Singapore, where our standard of living is much higher compared to our asian counterparts, very seldom will we be able to witness cases like this. It has never occurred to me that, when all of us are enjoying ourselves, without having to worry about whether do we have enough money for a movie or to shop, there are actually people out there who only have $30 to support the entire family.

How do you feel at this point in time? I am very guilty about my actions, wasting money on expensive gadgets and meals like sakae (although the average I spent is $10 not $16 on buffet). But then, I never hesitate to buy tissue papers or donating during flag day even though many people tell me that those old ladies selling tissues are exploited because 70% of their “income” will go to those “illegal groups” who “paid the tissues” a.k.a capital and ordered the old ladies to work for them. As much as I believe my friends, I would rather the old ladies to earn the remaining 30% so that they will not have to worry about their meals. Imagine if we don’t even give them the 30%, who is going to support them?

Only in circumstances like this, then we will know how fortunate we are. I’m going to continue whatever I can to repay and help those who need in the society as much as I can. This is the reason why I joined slc partly, although many people will doubt why.

But really, the satisfaction you get when they say a simple thank you is more than the monetary reward you get. It is something within the heart.

So, help anyone if you meet with one. You did not only bring happiness to the person you helped, but you cheer yourself in the process too.

Luckily, although there are many arrogant Singaporeans around now who spent money without much thought (I don deny tt I am not 1 of them), help is pouring in to help the victim’s family. My sister is going to the wake to provide as much monetary help too and I guess I will do my best too.

Lets keep the spirit of helping up. Don’t always think about the negative outcome because if you think about it, there might be 34983246821643 people who have the same thought as you. Make the first step and create a difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP